Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The road less unraveled

Standing at a crossroads in this twisted journey of mine, I've decided to gambol down the slightly familiar path of SNGs. It makes sense. I'm better at tournaments than cash. I prefer tournaments (at the moment) to cash. And I'm guessing I showed a profit when I played a fair number of $11 and the occasional $22 SNG during my Party animal days. My recent peep token efforts on Tilt have been downright impressive. And I'll obviously keep playing MTTs.

I've started with $3.40 turbos on Stars. Early results (dutifully noted and annotated in an Excel spreadsheet) have not been pretty. I've not played poorly. What I've seen thus far is that kids (donkey asswipes) will call with the darnedest hands. I'm thinking about moving up in class. Maybe there's someone at those buy-ins who actually fold Ace-junk or Q-J. We'll see.

4 Comments:

Blogger jjok said...

If you are looking at single table SNG's only, then there is not as much difference between the $3 and the $6 turbos......

However, jumping up to the $15 turbos (the next turbo level aside from the $11 45 man), there is a good bit of difference. I'm not saying the quality of play is better, but you will see alot more aggression in the early stages.

I've played about 1000 $6 turbos since the start the year and I will say that you can be profitable there with a solid game......yet the profits won't be huge.......

10:30 AM  
Blogger Pokerwolf said...

Here's my suggestion for low limit turbo SNGs:

Fold.

A lot.

Usually what happens is by the time you reach 25/50 or 40/60 blinds at least two people are already out, if not more. Pick your spots and don't bluff until the later stages.

It'll feel like you're trying to "settle for third", but it does work.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the SNGs...back in the day that was all I used to play.

Thanks for playing in the tourney last night.

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's weird you used this title...that's my blog's name.

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home