Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Not good enough

I played the best poker of my life tonight. And I lost.













Hoyazo's brother, Aquaverse, measured me up and twice kicked me squarely in the junk to win it. Three-handed and on the short stack, he called his last 7K preflop with 7d-3d and sent my Ad-Qd down in flames. The second junk crushing came heads-up and crippled me. I firmly believed I was ahead when I shoved on the turn.

Seat 3: aquaverse (34051 in chips)
Seat 5: hacker59 (48449 in chips)
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to hacker59 [5d Kd]
aquaverse: calls 1000
hacker59: checks
*** FLOP *** [Qd Ks Th]
hacker59: bets 4000
aquaverse: raises 4000 to 8000
hacker59: raises 8000 to 16000
aquaverse: calls 8000
*** TURN *** [Qd Ks Th] [8c]
hacker59: bets 30349 and is all-in
aquaverse: calls 15951 and is all-in
*** RIVER *** [Qd Ks Th 8c] [9c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
hacker59: shows [5d Kd] (a pair of Kings)
aquaverse: shows [Qc Jh] (a straight, Nine to King)
aquaverse collected 68102 from pot
aquaverse said, "wow"


Wow is right. I was ahead. Seventy-thirty. That's poker.

Good things happened throughout. A few pages were added to the playbook. Some rudimentary game theory was applied. Yet as aggressively as I played, there were opportunities lost, spots where I failed to take advantage of position and size.

I'm not sure what perfect poker is, especially over the course of a long tournament. But I think the ideal session would be to never make a decision, regardless of results, that was not well-reasoned.

And I did think well tonight. But if there were one hand I could play over again, it would be the last. With just over 13K and in the big blind, I checked with 7s 6c and he completed. We both checked the flop of 6h As 9d and the Ad on the turn. I bet 4K at the 7c on the river and he min-raised. I pushed my last 8,198 and typed "no mas." He had pocket queens and the curtain fell on this little drama. Well played, Mr. Jones. No mas? WTF was that? God forbid, that won't happen again.

Enough post-game mortification. (I'm working on the self-deprecatory thing, okay?) There is good news afoot. Last I checked, Matt Maroon of The Poker Chronicles had 220K and sat tied for 10th place on Day 2A of the Big One. Very cool. Take it down, sir.

3 Comments:

Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

lol. It was a junk kicking night as I was 4 to the money and got runner-runnered twice. Probably a little more than 70% on both hands. *sigh*. Next week. Good finish! HU is all about luck with some aggression and skill.

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great run last night. Week in and week out you always seem to be making final tables. Great job man, thanks for playing last night.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

Beautiful Hacker...I see you completing the blogger slam soon and picking up wins in each of these bastards.

Keep on, keepin' on brotha.

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home