Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Math deficient

Warning. Semi-bad beat story to follow:

We’re down to 5 in the Vegas-shortened MATH tonight. I’ve got 4K and decide to just call jeciimd's min-raise while holding pocket 7s from from the small blind. Jeciimd might be one of the most famous bloggers in the world, but I don’t think I’ve read his work. Of course, I don't get out much. He’s the chip leader with around 7,900 and has been min-raising a bit, so I'm no quite certain what it means in this instance. Mowenumdown, my apparently conjoined poker twin, given how much we’ve played together lately, calls from the big blind.

The flop is 6s-7h-9s. I lead for 400, hoping to get raised. Mow folds and jeciimd raises to 800. I reraise another 1,000 and he calls. The 5d arrives on the turn. I push my last 1,700 and he calls … with A-8. The river fails to pair the board and I'm done.

I collect my thoughts and comment in chat about the possibility of a donkey move having just been made but wonder who might have made it.

Was it me? Did I misplay this hand? He’s calling another 1,000 into a pot of 3,425 with an OESD. Does he have pot odds? Only if he plans to see the river. Implied odds? Of course. You can have implied odds that Uma Thurman will make you her love slave, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to happen. Apparently, I should have bet bigger. My first instinct was to shove. I’m just not sure it would have done any good.

What’s really pissing me off is how well I played up to that point. No cards? No problem. And while you can never be certain, I sense that I made a couple of decent laydowns along the way. I’ve gotten much better at shaking off the losses and bad beats that are poker, but for some reason this one has left a giant welt across my psyche.

Postscript:

Mowenumdown just took down the MATH after coming back from a big deficit. Nice work, sir.

3 Comments:

Blogger slb159 said...

That guy was registered for the WWdN, I think, when I registered, but is not there anymore. Must have scared him away when he saw me registered and donked out...lol. Tough beat, A8? Wow, glad I heard about that...I'll remember him. Nice post.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

Like the new look brotha - smokkee style, and yah can't go wrong with anything smokkee-like.

I'm pretty sure Jeciimd is one of Hoy's buddy's from when MATH was a limited tourney. No, it's not a great call, but I agree your bet might have looked weak (ie. just 2 high cards, to which his A would look good). Dunno. But you're running hot and doing well, so don't sweat it too much, brotha.

Cya

4:13 PM  
Blogger Guin said...

I think on a flop like that you will bet bigger next time to make sure that the odds aren't in their favor.

Pot sized bets work well in that situation and if he calls it is a mistake with a oesd.

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home