Wednesday, July 12, 2006

R.I.P.

Mookie presciently made James Elmer "Poker" Jones (Sept 17, 1898-Sept. 9, 1965) a co-honoree for tonight's Mookie tournament. I dropped in on Mookie's table and joked that the dead guy would last longer than me.

I think he did.

Eleven hands into it, someone named Marxst1 opens for 60 UTG. I call with pocket jacks and three others join the fun. Flop comes Jd-5h-Kd. Marxst1 bets 80, I raise to 240 and everyone folds around to Marxst1, who calls. The flop is the 7h. Marxst1 leads for 220 and I push my remaining 850. He calls. With pocket aces. Cracking sounds begin reverberating off the hallowed halls of the Poker Jones Harmonic Institute when the ace of clubs pops up on the river, an ugly zit on what was supposed to be my poker prom night.

The music has faded to silence. My tux hangs forlornly in the closet of my consciousness. A cheap boutaineer chills quietly in the Frigidaire of my soul.

Rest in peace, Mark "Poker" Jones. Rest in peace.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tough break.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

You donkey.

TripJax is the only one who can play Trip Jacks. Do I have to spell everything out for ya?

Andrew's game sounds good. I'm in, we just gotta work out the timing.

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home