Sunday, July 16, 2006

A quickie

I joined a mere 7,376 other players on Stars today looking for a seat to the WSOP main event. With 234 spots at stake, I figured my odds were pretty good. Brace yourself: I didn't win one, finishing 2,648th.

It took me about 2 1/2 hours to bust out and managed to last that long because the cards were so crappy that I rarely got the opportunity to put chips at risk. I won a so-so pot with jacks early on and got to steal blinds with aces once and kings another time.

Only two interesting hands. Right before the first break, I opened from the button for 200 (4x BB) with Ah-4h and the blinds came along. The flop provided two hearts. The blinds checked and I bet 400. The guy to my immediate left, who had me well covered, went all-in. The other blind folded and I was left to ponder. I've got about 2,100 chips and 600 in the pot. It's early, but I need chips (i.e., freakin' momentum.) I've got a ton of outs (including an inside straight draw), which can mean only one thing: fold. It's too early to gamble, right? I've been in this situation enough to know that the cards will come eventually. Patience usually pays. Not this time.

The other hand was my last. In the big blind (150/300/10) with around 2,400 chips, I see a flop with the UTG limper. I've got As-7s. The flop comes 7 high with two spades. I push. Limper ponders and finally calls. With pocket jacks. No help for me and I'm done. Oddly played, but he got my chips.

Sooooo ... it wasn't my day. No big deal. But, for what it's worth, I felt comfortable in that setting, ready and willing to play my normal game. That's good to know.

(And I did turn a $43 profit during that time, finishing second in a 5-table $5.50. The contrast in skill levels between the players in those two tournaments was remarkable.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

I agree Hack. I bought in too and was killed on a play so bad I wanted to strangle the MF. I won my buyin back playing $55 SNGs where at least the players understand the language of betting. Ridiculous, but I'm glad we both gave it a shot.

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you can always come to vegas with the crew, Hacker. I got a space in my room for ya.

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. Anyone heard of this site? www.123rakeback.com Can you really make
$3000.00 per month in poker rakeback? I checked this site and it looks
good but does anyone have any more info? Waiting....William

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home