Sunday, October 25, 2009

Grand prize

And what did I win this poker-filled weekend? A NEW DRYER!

Played a 20-person bounty tourney at Julie's on Friday and chopped it up, getting a premium for my chip lead (118K to 82K). The payout and the five kills (at $20 per) made for a nice night.

Was I a wimp to chop? Probably. I had the guy, who I didn't know, 1.4 to 1. Blinds were 2,000-4,000. But it had been a long week, I was hungry, and I was ready to go home.

Played into the wee hours at Dave's Poker Pit last night, crashing in the donkament about midway through the record-setting 47-person field. Sat down for some $1/1 NL action and won a few pots but then left when we got $2/$4 8-game going. What a hoot. We'd still be playing if Dave hadn't kicked us out at 4:30 a.m. -- a half hour past the normal deadline. Chips were flying, yet my $80 profit made me the big winner in the game.

One interesting hand in the PLO portion of the program, by far my worst of the eight games: I pot from LP after some limpers with A-A-3-3. Jack T-Way and Meats call. The flop is K-9-2 with two diamonds. One of my aces is a diamond. As best I can recall, Jack pots it and Meats and I (reluctantly) called. WTF did I think I would win the hand with at this point? The sad but truthful answer is, I don't know. The reality is that I suck at PLO.

The turn is the 3h. Is this a good card for me? Or a really bad one?

Jack pots again. Meats tanks, which screams that he's on at least the diamond draw -- but not the nut one, thanks to my ace. Meatsian pondering gives me a chance to not-so surreptitiously study Jack. The answer comes quickly. I have him smoked.

The problem is the Meats. I'm guessing at that point (but am not sure and haven't made up my mind) that I would need to bail if he calls. After much anguish, he finally folds. I push what I have left (just over $100). Jack's face confirms my suspicions, but he makes the crying call with ... dry aces. He's drawing dead. Meats's diamond arrives on the river and I haul in a nice pot.

Data asked in e-mail why I would bail to Meats if I thought I had the best hand? My reply: "Again, that's why I suck at PLO." There's talk of making 8-game a regular feature at Dave's. That would be cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home