Friday, December 29, 2006

End-of-year closeout

I suck and I need to get better. At everything. (I will, for the sake of accuracy, admit to having perfected the recipe for chicken marsala. But we can all agree that is a skill set of limited value.)

End-of-year reflection leads me to ask whether I've reached life's mid-game with the blinds and antes climbing, knowing that if the dealer doesn't slide me some major mojo soon that I'll be taking a stand under suboptimal conditions while left wondering whether the real opportunity occurred much earlier but I lacked brains, ability and chutzpah to recognize its existence.

(How's this for an example: You're in for 5 buy-ins with less than 10 minutes remaining in the first hour of an $8 donkfest and see three all-ins in front of you while holding pocket 10s. You know there's got to be at least one overpair among the three and that you'd be gamboooling in a major way if you make the call for your last 2,800. You don't, of course, the 10 flops and you flame out a couple of minutes later with pocket 9s vs K-Q. Point of this interlude? IT'S A FREAKIN' REBUY, DUMBASS. YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO GAMBLE.)

Ah, the bountiful poker-life analogies. Screw it. Life's been pretty good. I've gotten plenty of breaks. My timing has usually been pretty good. But I can't help but wonder whether I've wrung all the value I should have out of the hands I've been dealt.

I am a better poker player than a year ago. There are more pages in the playbook. There is discernible improvement in both my tournament (more aggressive) and NL cash (probably too loose/aggressive) games.

My enthusiasm for poker has only deepened. I've even become addicted to a new poker drug -- 2-7 TD. I've played thousands of hands since Stars introduced the game and have enthusiastically set about learning the game's complexities.

Triple draw, in fact, will be a good test for my resolve to improve. Learning is best done systematically, although accident and happenstance impart their own sometimes painful lessons. Learning to learn better represents a formidable but achievable challenge. And the biggest step toward becoming a better player -- laying down more hands -- doesn't take a Ph.d. to master.

This is the first anniversary of this blog. While not well read, it has served as an adequate journal of my poker progress. That's good enough for now.

5 Comments:

Blogger LuvGlock said...

Well said, Hacker.

By the way, any game that has its title abbreviated "2-7...." is a good game!


Signed,

Donkey Glock

3:17 PM  
Blogger Poker4peace said...

Happy blogversary! Keep it going and have a safe and profitable new 07!

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to let you know, I've been reading your blog for the last couple of months.Currently enduring England's 5th test v Australia (cricket) on the radio.Enjoying the blog far more than England's cricket.

Ben
Liverpool UK

9:18 PM  
Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

Congrats Hacker on the anniversary. You know I am this blog's numbah one fan - you can flat out write well, and your MTT results speak for themselves.

Here's hoping your game lays waste to '07.

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello

Tenez vous informé des informations récentes sur le poker en ligne en consultant passion poker.
Vous y trouverez des infos mises à jour quotidiennement sur les sites de poker et sur le poker en france.
Les vidéos et les photos vous permettrons d'en savoir plus sur le poker.

Winner URL: http://passionpoker.biz

1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home