Saturday, June 24, 2006

Almost home

I mentioned in the previous post playing a $5.50 MTT on Titan in the wee hours of what is still this morning. I'd just quit a $15 rebuy tournament after reloading just once, knowing I didn't have it, yet jumping almost immediately into the $5.50. I don't know what I was thinking.

Yet I somehow managed to channel enought of H.S. Thompson -- "When the going gets tough, the weird turn pro," to finish fourth out of 238 starters. Yeah, it's Titan. Awful structure and fishy players. But what the heck, deep is deep. I'll take it.



I played well, folding nearly everything in the first hour, stealing nearly everything while shortstacked as the bubble approached and then hunkering down at the final table as the blinds went skyward.

Two mistakes at the final table. I twice tried to steal with marginal holdings from a big-stacked calling station to my immediate left, knowing the chances he would fold were were slim. I missed the flop both times and checked/folded to bets I could not afford to call with no piece of the board. Given the situation, I should have reserved those chips for a better spot(s).

With the blinds at 3K/6K and me at 25, I pushed with pocket 9s. Calling station calls with A-J and pairs his ace on the river.

It was not a bad return on an investment of two hours and $5.50, but a win would have been sweet. It felt for a moment at the final table like it might be my early morning. I needed to play mistake-free poker and, in the end, did not. Memo to self: Read Harrington Vol. II.

1 Comments:

Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

nice job, brotha...few questions:

what the fuck is a freezeout? I might play more MTTs if someone would tell me what half the fucking lingo means? on that note what the fuck is a double-shootout? why don't I know these things?

i just commented on the last post too. let me know what ya think. looking forward to playing live soon.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home