Monday, January 26, 2009

Follow-up visit

As indicated in my previous post, not running so goot. It was actually a relief to figure out (fool myself?) that it has primarily been variance kicking my ass in MTTs.

Despite the poor results, I have not lost my enthusiasm. I am continuing to shoot in the belief that shots will start to drop eventually. Perhaps my 13th-place finish (295 runners) in a PLO8 tournament last night will provide me with some positive momentum.

I came home a bit ago from a follow-up visit to the orthopedic surgeon. It was a follow-up only in technicial sense. The first visit two weeks ago was with a doctor who told me he didn't do knee replacements and that I'd have to come back and see a doctor who does.

"I don't know why they scheduled you with me," he said with a shrug. I managed to bite my tongue for once.

But he had relatively good news. He thought I'd only need a partial replacement, which comes with considerably shorter recovery time. Today's visit explains why the first doctor doesn't do knee replacements.

The real doctor determined I need a brand new knee, which I'll be receiving at the end of February. He told me that that, after the surgery, I'll have the left knee of a 60-year-old man.

"A healthy 60-year-old man," he quickly added. That news did not do much for my 49-year-old peace of mind.

As for why my knee should be in such wretched shape, the doctor guessed that it was cumulative, a collection of knicks and scratches that has torn the cartilage to shreds. My knee wasn't made for that many trips up and down the basketball court, that many pass patterns, that many hours on that baseball field, or that many golf swings. Sumbitch just wore out and it's time to get a new one.

The doctor had that air of confidence you like to see in physicians, airline pilots and hookers. He assured me that I'll eventually be pain free after surgery and weeks of rehab. He saw now reason why I won't be able to walk long distances, play golf or participate in other low-impact activities.

And the 2 1/2 months that I'm expected to be out of commission, largely sitting at home on my ass, should provide plenty of opportunities to have variance kick me in the junk while playing online. As for now, I'm looking forward to that as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home