Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Moore's flaw

I don't believe that I'm a technically a losing player online, but given what I've done the last year and a half, it would be ludicrous to say I'm a winning player.

I can't recall whether I went busto on Stars before Neteller crashed or sometime after, but there was a period where I played precious little online because I no longer had a convenient way to fund my account. And that was okay. My participation in Group games provided ample opportunity to play livve.

When the e-check thing came along, I again made deposits again into my Stars' account, usually $25 or $50 here or there. It's quick and easy. I haven't bothered to total how much those $25s and $50s total, and don't think I want to know. It's been all deposit and no withdrawal for too long. Back in the ... ahem ... day of Party Poker and at Stars for awhile, I was a withdrawer. I got money and spent it on vacations and stuff. I went a couple of years without without ever having to deposit money in those accounts. (Full Tilt is another matter. A lifetime loser there.) Online poker was fun.

Today, I can only conclude that I suck and should not play online. Game selection, bankroll management, ability to concentrate for more than 3 seconds ... it's all bad. I ran the bankroll up a bit a few months ago with some tournament cashes and 8-game success, but that money, as always, disappeared into the ether.

The prime motivation for playing poker should not be boredom, which appears to be the case. I feel ... disengaged, a mediocre button smasher. Will I stop playing online? Of course not. I get bored easily. And I'm addicted. And I possess a masochistic need to be kicked in the junk -- repeatedly.

Those were alot of words to make a point made by other: Live poker is so much more interesting. My level of online poker lethargy is matched only by my increasing enthusiasm for live games. So much more information, so much more rewarding. I have plans to play tournaments/cash games this Friday AND Saturday, which has me jazzed after a weekend of no live poker.

Also, I made a cryptic remark in a previous post about major life changes. As it turned out, nothing much changed. No Turk came calling, asking me to turn in my playbook. That's cool. There were some intriguing but speculative prospects out there, but I opted to stay with the tried and true. I still find my job rewarding. After spending the better part of 30 years in my profession, that's not a bad thing to say.

But the industry (okay, it's newspapers), is in rapid decline. The print product will largely disappear in another generation or two. In the meantime, it will become smaller and more compact as advertising and readership dwindles further and computing power grows. In the meantime, I encourage everyone to channel their inner Luddite and read newspapers long enough so my kids can get through college.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home