Sunday, January 21, 2007

There are no guarantees

Absolute Poker
$2.20 3-table NL SNG

Seat 2 - PROACES ($2350 in chips)
Seat 3 - JAMES14411 ($285 in chips)
Seat 4 - OZZY23 ($1430 in chips)
Seat 5 - JAXONBROWN ($1140 in chips)
Seat 6 - SKITTIE ($2990 in chips)
Seat 8 - NEALCASSADY ($3145 in chips)
Seat 9 - CRAPPGAME ($1285 in chips)
JAMES14411 - Posts small blind
$25OZZY23 - Posts big blind $50

*** POCKET CARDS ***

Dealt to NEALCASSADY [10h 10c]
JAXONBROWN - Calls $50
SKITTIE - Calls $50
NEALCASSADY - Calls $50

I know. Just calling here is weak. But it's early and the action thus far has featured lots of limping and screwiness. I've got chips and hope to see a raggedy flop.

CRAPPGAME - Calls $50
PROACES - Folds
JAMES14411 - All-In(Raise) $260 to $285
OZZY23 - Folds
JAXONBROWN - Calls $235
SKITTIE - Raises $720 to $770

This is where it gets interesting. There is no way I don't have the re-raiser beat. He's got a middle pair of some sort and wants to isolate. Smart move. But it's time for a squeeze play.

NEALCASSADY - All-In(Raise) $3095 to $3145
CRAPPGAME - Folds
JAXONBROWN - Folds
SKITTIE - All-In $2220
NEALCASSADY - returned ($155) : not called
*** FLOP *** [As 5s 3c]
*** TURN *** [As 5s 3c] [3h]
*** RIVER *** [As 5s 3c 3h] [3s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
JAMES14411 - Shows [4s 4h] (Full house, threes full of fours)
SKITTIE - Shows [9h 9c] (Full house, threes full of nines)
NEALCASSADY - Shows [10h 10c] (Full house, threes full of tens)
NEALCASSADY Collects $5410 from side pot
NEALCASSADY Collects $1240 from main pot

I didn't expect a call, but realize this was a $2.20 SNG. I managed only a 5th-place finish, when the deck went frigid and steal situations were virtually non-existent. One hundred percent ROI, though. Wooot.

The fact I'm playing on Absolute at all is quirky. My account stood at zero when I collected $3 in rakeback and turned it into $8 ... playing blackjack. I bolstered it a bit more with a second-place finish in a $2 SNG and a second-place finish in a $2 3-table SNG yesterday.

I'm trying a modified Chris Ferguson low-limit challenge, using micro-limit games at a steppingstone to a million-dollar bankroll. Granted, it might take awhile.

And continuing the micro-limit route, I entered two $2.25 7-table satellites this morning for a seat into Full Tilt's $109 100-seat satellite to the $750K guaranteed. I flamed out of the first one and then:















I was severely short-stacked (7K) with 6 players left and the blinds at 1,500/3,000. The big blind hit me and I looked down at Q-5 suited. A big stack pushed and the second-smallest stack called all-in. I wish I was better at roughly calculating 3-way pot odds on the fly, but guessed that I was screwed. I folded and hoped for some minor miracles in the next few hands. I would have busted had I remained in the hand.

Details are hazy, but I basically won the thing in less than 20 hands. I won races, but got my chips only once while behind -- the first and only hands of heads-up, taking out the short-stack's A-Q with 7-9. (I had a 9-1 lead at HU.)

The satellite starts at 3:30 p.m ET, not long after kick-off for the NFC championship game. I had hoped to unregister and take the cash so I could concentrate on football but that does not appear to be an option. Sheeit.

The cash would have been particularly sweet. Why, you ask? Because I've blown through a big chunk of my main online bankroll on Stars playing $1/2 and $2/4 triple draw the last couple of days and am running low on gas. It's amazing how fast you lose money when your priced-in quality draws refuse to hit time and time again. I was running bad, but the games seemed good and I was certain I'd finally have a run. Didn't happen. I sort of know how Chris Fargis feels.

It's a little disappointing. I haven't tried spending consistent hours playing cash games since I quit the $1/2 6-max grind on Party several years ago. I hoped TD would be the ticket. I'd been winning at the game, albeit at a low hourly rate. Variance and some poor bankroll management were mostly to blame for the skid. I don't think I played badly -- the percentage of draws seen stayed consistent at or even below my normal 33 percent. I like TD very much and have no plans to give it up.

Before the day's out, there's a good chance I'll be putting what's left of my Stars 'roll in play for TD. If I go broke, no big deal. While I hardly embrace the concept, I easily accept it as a consequence of poker growth.

(And I'm far from "broke." Online poker has treated me fine, given the amounts I've been willing to risk. Hell, I've been playing off a $100 buy-in at Stars for more than a year and a half and financed a nice family vacation and other expenses with last year's profits. And I've still got a little money on Tilt and a whopping $24 on Absolute.)

I'll reload with elan, if such a thing is possible. Too bad we Ugly American Poker Degenerates are being persecuted by the Uglier American Morality Police. Fuckwads. I'll have an ePassporte account funded in a few days but wonder how long that option will last. I tried to open an alternative Click2Pay account but got this e-mail after my IP address was rejected.

From: Support Team Munich in general
[mailto:support.click2pay@click2pay.com]

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for contacting the CLICK2PAY Service Team.

Due to the existing US legal situation the decision has been taken to not accept any new sign-ups from US players. Please respect our decision in this regard.

Kind regards
CLICK2PAY Service Team


I replied:

"Wimps."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home